“Just a little concealer next time.”
1. Singer Alicia Keys attended the VMAs on Sunday looking absolutely amazing, and without a trace of makeup on her face.
2. Keys has been skipping makeup regularly lately as a way to embrace her natural beauty, she wrote in a Lenny Letter.
3. She explained that she first embraced wearing no makeup when a photographer for her new album asked if she could shoot Keys barefaced. Keys said she was nervous, but soon felt empowered:
I felt powerful because my initial intentions realized themselves. My desire to listen to myself, to tear down the walls I built over all those years, to be full of purpose, and to be myself! The universe was listening to those things I’d promised myself, or maybe I was just finally listening to the universe, but however it goes, that’s how this whole #nomakeup thing began. Once the photo I took with Paola came out as the artwork for my new song “In Common,” it was that truth that resonated with others who posted #nomakeup selfies in response to this real and raw me.
I hope to God it’s a revolution.
‘Cause I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.
4. So at the VMAs, she stuck to her promise and embraced her natural beauty. Safe to say, she slayed.
5. A lot of fans were totally impressed by Keys’ natural look.
6. “This whole no makeup ever thing Alicia Keys is doing has her glowing everywhere she goes,” one person wrote.
This whole no makeup ever thing Alicia Keys is doing has her glowing everywhere she goes.
— RN (@DopeEthiopian) August 29, 2016
7. However, many other people dragged Keys on Twitter for choosing to go makeup-free.
8. In one viral tweet, a woman advised Keys to wear “concealer” next time. Many others chimed in to comment on what they would do to Keys’ face. The user later deleted the tweet.
This is horrible, let the woman live pic.twitter.com/ER5wvXrdSr
— Jack Skellington (@J4CKMULL) August 29, 2016
9. Other people accused Keys of being fake.
10. And others, like Jezebel’s Kara Brown, said they doubted Keys was completely makeup-free.
11. “We all know you wear bb cream, sis. Also, how does no makeup correlate to this haggard look you’re running around with?” one person tweeted at Keys.
12. Fans are now jumping to Keys’ defense, saying anyone tearing her down needs to back off.
All the ugly women of Twitter complaining about Alicia Keys needing to wear makeup. Smh. Stop pushing ur insecurities onto other ppl.
— Drip Drano (@MadBlackPoet) August 29, 2016
13. “All @aliciakeys needs to tweet is something like ‘Thanks for making my point loud and clear’ with a smiling no makeup picture,” one person wrote.
All is @aliciakeys needs to tweet is something like "Thanks for making my point loud and clear" with a smiling no makeup picture.
— Calandra (@Calliediva) August 29, 2016